Arklow Pottery closes for 5 weeks due to lack of orders. This is due to the ‘dumping’ of earthenware onto the Irish market from overseas markets. In April 1938 the factory reopens with the aid of government tariffs following amendments to the Duties Act 1932.
The Government had imposed a duty of up to 75% on some imported ware items aimed at giving further protection to Arklow Pottery.
A showroom is built to facilitate customers to come and view pottery prior to ordering.