1934 Turning the Sod

Negotiations to arrange a Deed of Exchange between Arklow Golf Club and the Harbour Commissioners begin in May 1934.

Works on the 90,000 square feet Pottery site commence the following April – steelworks are carried out by Thompsons of Carlow and concrete works by McNally of Dublin.

Construction of the factory is completed by mid-1935 and 15 young women sign up to participate in design classes at Arklow Technical Institute.

Skip to content